Nearly 1 in 5 women between the ages of 30 and 50 suffer from heavy menstrual bleeding, also called menorrhagia. Generally speaking, periods are considered “heavy” if there is enough bleeding to soak through sanitary protection every hour for several hours in a row, or if your period lasts longer than seven days. Heavy periods can be very stressful, and can interfere with nearly every aspect of daily life.
Do I Have Menorrhagia?
Most women experience heavy menstrual bleeding at some point in their lives. However, nearly 1 in 5 women experience heavy bleeding with almost every cycle – this is known as menorrhagia. While every period is different, common symptoms of menorrhagia include:
- Needing to double the number of sanitary products for your protection
- Bleeding longer than 7 days
- Needing to change your sanitary protection during the night
- Passing large blood clots in your flow
- Soaking through your sanitary protection every hour for several hours in a row
If you suffer from heavy periods, it may feel as if you have to plan your entire life around your period. Heavy periods can affect everything from work performance, to family life, to social interactions, to your sleep schedule, to even your wardrobe. However, doctors are now studying new treatment options, such as the AEGEA Vapor System, that may be able to help.